The assessment of project applications is one of CAMECO's core tasks. Several donor agencies request the screening of applications they receive in order to facilitate their decision-making processes on possible subsidies. Likewise, partners in the different regions can rely on our services, asking for our advice in the preparation of project applications to be presented to funding organisations.
In 2015, CAMECO dealt with a total of 396 projects. 20 funding agencies and other donor organisations (such as dioceses, mission procurement offices of religious congregations and some non-Church related entities) asked for assessments of altogether 256 projects; additionally, 140 applications were sent directly by partners in the regions. The proportion of assessments for so-called "direct advice" has been constantly growing over the past years.
This screening of draft applications could also be seen as a consultancy process, supporting our partners in developing and presenting their initiatives in a way that substantiates their adequacy in a specific context and for defined target-groups as well as offering reliable perspectives for sustainability. Thus, something first thought of as a preliminary check of a project application actually leads to a project planning process in dialogue with CAMECO.
In the screening process, the following aspects are being considered:
- Profile of a media project (analysis of concepts and strategies; target groups; messages to be communicated)
- Context (national/regional media environment, competing initiatives, legal situation of the media)
- Sustainability (organisational structure: responsibilities, decision-making processes; participation of stakeholders: social sustainability; medium- and long-term financial perspectives)
- Competence of staff (qualifications and ongoing training)
- Technical equipment (necessity for and adequacy of equipment and prices, maintenance)
- Cost assessment
- Impact assessment with regard to target publics and stakeholders as well as the long-term future of an initiative.